Sunday, March 9, 2008

Song Interpretation: Different

ACCEPTANCE - DIFFERENT

Lyrics:

Tell myself, on the ride home.
Getting tired, hating all I've known.
Holding on, like it's all I have.
Count me out, when it's clear that I, find it hard to say.
And you, find it hard to care.

I wanted to see something that's different, something you said would change in me.
Wanted to be, anything different, everything you would change in me.

Got this way, upfront but never true.
God I'm wrong, it's just the way I am.
Crashing down, any chance you hear.
Caving in, any chance that you, could see inside of me.
And I don't know what to say, It's fine.
This isn't Hollywood.
So fine, getting in your way.

I wanted to see something that's different, something you said would change in me.
Wanted to be, anything different, everything you would change in me.

I'm taking a chance, this could be different.
This could be all I'm waiting for.
Taking a chance, this could be different.
This could be all I'm waiting for.

I wanted to see something that's different, something you said would change in me.
Wanted to be, anything different, everything you would change in me.

Something that's different
Something that's different

Acceptance is a band from Seattle, Washington. Although they broke up in 2006, their wonderful music lives on. This song, “Different,” is a story about the narrator deciding to turn his heart towards to God searching for redemption and a whole new life. The speaker, Jason Vena, talks about his life before he found Christ and about his choice to become a Christian.
In the beginning of the song, Jason exclaims that he is “hating all I’ve [Jason] known.” By this he means that he does not like the life he had been living. He probably had not accomplished much in his life and spent his entire life with no real sense of direction of where he wants to go. Then Vena states, “I wanted to see something that’s different, something you said would change in me.” In this part of the song, Vena is turning to God asking him to make him a completely new person that has a goal in life. He seeks to have a goal in life and not just live a life with no real point.
The reader can tell how lost Jason Vena really is. In the third stanza it reads, “…Caving in, any chance that you, could see inside of me.” One can almost see the desperate nature of Vena because he really needs and wants someone to look inside of him and see the person that is trying desperately to come out.
Near the end of the song Vena sings, “I’m taking a chance, this could be different. This could be all I’m waiting for.” He takes the leap towards God and hopes that this decision can lead him to a life without suffering and not like the life he used to live. He wants to become a person completely different because he feels tired of his old life.
The title, “Different,” basically explains the entire purpose of the song. The title represents the speaker’s desire to become someone completely different from which he was.

No comments: