Friday, May 2, 2008

Cultural Event: Student Choreography Concert


Cultural Event 1: 2008 Student Choreography Concert
About:
The 2008 Student Choreography Concert was held on Saturday, March 18소, 2008. This showcase was held for the students in Dance Class who created their own dance routines to a song of their choice. There were seventeen acts and many of the dancers performed more than once. Basically, each person or group chose the color of their background scene and had two minutes or so to perform their routine and then the next act would go next and so on and so forth.
Analysis:
I didn’t enjoy the Choreography Concert as much as I would have liked. There were not too many people in the auditorium to watch but there was still enough to consider it a crowd. I don’t remember if the Girl’s Step Team performed or not but I remember seeing Aisha there, so maybe. The first couple or routines were really good. Well, I actually think I liked the songs better than I did the dance routine. I caught myself writing down the song lyrics and remember going home to go download them. Anyways, the second act with Sydney Polluta and Heather Thompson was my favorite. It might have been the song that won me over, but their choreography was beautiful and I could tell that they put their heart and soul into the moves and I really appreciated that. True talent!
After the first couple acts, it kind of got repetitive. The choreography seemed to remain the same. Almost every group or solo had the same choreography incorporated into their routine which kind of made the rest of the two hours boring. However, some of the music choices were good so I enjoyed the hearing pleasure.
Almost halfway through the concert, a lady near the back of the auditorium collapsed. I’m not quite sure what exactly happened, but I think the lady might have had a heart attack. The dance teacher—or someone—called 911 and the ambulance came to the rescue. To my knowledge, the lady is alright.
On a nice note, I was happy to hear the Caitlin Hunt and Audrey Heldreth composed a dance to Imogen Heap’s “Hide and Seek.” And, I loved every moment of it.
The last thing I did not like about the concert were the people who did not even “dance.” All they did was move their hands and smile. I swear, it annoyed me so much. I could not stand it at all.
Overall, the only reason why I’m glad I went was because of the music that was played. Except for a couple of acts, I was not pleased with the dancing I saw that night. If it was not for the music selections, I would go back in time and tell myself not to go.

No comments: